How to submit poems and copies for review
We only consider unpublished poems.
Please do not send poems which appear or have appeared in open access areas of the internet, as these are deemed already published.
Poems should be in English in any style, but please study the magazine before submitting. A few back issues are held online at the Poetry Library. A complimentary copy is sent to successful poets. The poet retains the copyright of any printed poems. We do not accept translations.
- You may submit a maximum of three poems per issue
- You must provide two copies of each poem
- Each poem is no more than 40 lines in length, and is typed on separate sheets of A4 paper in Times New Roman, 12-point. No fancy fonts or symbols, please.
- Your name, address or any other identifying details must not appear on the the front or back of the manuscript.
- We do not return manuscripts. Do not send covering letters or bios.
- Deadlines are 31 May for the Autumn issue and 30 November for the Spring issue the following year; you may submit work at any time
- We do not inform individuals whether their work has been selected; we ask you to check the Next issue pages, where a list of succesful poets and poems appears once the edition is typset.
- Successful poets will be contacted before publication to invite them to take part in a reading to launch the forthcoming issue
- We do not accept submissions by email
- Submissions which do not meet our criteria will not be considered.
To see how we manage your data, please see our Data Protection Policy
Please print and use this SOUTH PDF submission form. It has all the necessary information for submitting to SOUTH.
Copies for Review
SOUTH welcomes review copies from publishers.
Publishers should bear in mind that SOUTH is an independent poetry magazine run by a small team of volunteers, published twice yearly. We review only paperback books and pamphlets written in English.
Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee to publish a review for all copies submitted, to return review copies or to send copies of the magazine to publishers. We do not accept unsolicited reviews.
Please send copies for review to: SOUTH Poetry Magazine, PO Box 9338, Wimborne BH21 9JA. If a review is published, we will send publishers a .pdf, and a Word version of the review if requested.